Learn more about holistic pain management.
Pain is a symptom of a dysfunction in the body. It could be caused by injury, misalignment or tissue damage that results in inflammatory cytokines released in the site of injury to wall off and repair the tissue. It could also be caused by inflammatory cytokines released in response to substances that are toxic to the body such as infectious agents, chemical toxins or food toxins.
Whatever the cause of the pain, it is uncomfortable and we need to do whatever we can to resolve it. As a holistic practitioner, I always want to find out the underlying cause of the problem in order to ensure that the issue is resolved long term. It is important to manage the pain short term as well as treat the underlying problem for complete healing. This requires multiple healing modalities.
Various Holistic Pain Management Options
- Acupuncture is recommended by the World Health Organization to treat over 100 different conditions. Various studies have shown that acupuncture is beneficial in reducing pain in arthritis patients.
- Osteopathic and Chiropractic manipulations have been shown to reduce pain by relieving the pressure on the nerves that may be causing pain.
- Massage by a skilled therapist can help relieve pain in muscle and joints.
- Herbal supplements can relieve pain, especially inflammatory pain. These include Boswellia (Frankincense), Curcumin and extract of Turmeric, Cat’s claw, Gingko, Stinging Nettle, Bromelain (enzymes found in Pineapple). Other supplements like Glucosamine chondroitin.
- Anti-inflammatory foods such as green leafy vegetables, cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, fruits such as blueberries, walnuts, fish oils, flax seeds and other healthy fats.
These modalities can help with pain control and may be all that is needed in some cases but may not be enough to resolve the underlying cause of the pain in most chronic pain conditions caused by inflammation.
In order to resolve pain conditions quickly and completely, I recommend using one or more of these modalities in conjunction with Nutrition Response testing to control pain as well as resolve the underlying disease process.
My experience and the experience of many holistic practitioners is that chiropractic adjustments do not hold when there is a nutritional deficiency or toxins that contribute to the cause of the pain. If someone is needing chiropractic adjustments frequently for the same condition, it is most likely they would also need a nutritional intervention to resolve the problem completely.
The Benefits of Nutrition Response Testing
On a personal note, before I knew about Nutrition Response Testing, I managed my lower back pain and knee pain with daily Glucosamine chondroitin and frequent chiropractic adjustments. When I did the Nutrition Response Testing program that reversed my thyroid and digestive issues, my lower back pain was resolved completely. I only needed to do a couple of acupuncture treatments in addition to nutrition to reverse my knee problem. I no longer need to take glucosamine chondroitin or do frequent chiropractic adjustments for my back or knee.
I believe that adjustment and proper alignment of the spine are important for general health especially joint and muscle health, and Acupuncture is a good way of balancing the energy systems of the body. Nutrition is the foundation of health as it involves every cell and issue of the body including blood, internal organs, bone, joints and muscles, and must be part of any health or wellness program.
Nutrition Response Testing is a noninvasive way of identifying the underlying cause of most chronic health conditions and identifying specific nutrition and nutritional supplements to resolve the condition.